Afisha Picnic-2016 visited by 58,000 people
Afisha Picnic - the largest open-air music festival in Moscow - took place in the Kolomenskoe museum-reserve on the 30th of July. The 13th picnic was visited by 58,000 people. With the support of the PIK group of companies, Omar Suleiman, British band Temples, Neon Indian, rapper Oxxxymiron and last year’s winner of the prestigious Mercury Prize Benjamin Clementin appeared on the main stage. The main stage programme was headlined by the band Leningrad and The Chemical Brothers, after which the skies over Kolomenskoe park were lit up by fireworks.
On the Summer Stage sponsored by S7 Airlines, soul, techno and rap stars performed as part of the project None of your business - Manizha, Tesla Boy, Mudzhus, Adrien Young, and major grime star and one of the world’s most influential performers of London hip-hop Skepta, who was visiting Russia for the first time.
In 2016 another, third musical stage appeared at the festival. Local Stage by MasterCard was given to the singer Gayana, project Naadya, participant of the show The Voice Aleona Toymintseva and the band Race to Space.
Afisha Picnic-2016 will be remembered not only for good music: on festival day Kolomenskoe became a real city with multiple entertainment grounds, food stalls and markets.
This year’s festival hosted a new project by Afisha-Quests, which organised five entertainment areas, barriers for all the guests, while the wisest entertainment edition, Afisha Daily, made their secret garden in Kolomenskoe park. In a secret leisure space where birds sing and aromatic herbs flourish was a golden shrine with items and images of people the edition discussed in 2016: David Bowie and Oleg Karavaychuk, the Life of Pablo album cover, an Outline festival t-shirt, a green and white builders fence and Pokémon.
The festival’s general partner, the PIK group of companies, set up a whole apartment in the open air in the territory of Kolomenskoe. The PIK-living-room with a view onto the main stage became a great place to relax in comfortable chairs, rest or play board games. The PIK-kitchen was a great place to visit after visiting the food stalls, and futuristic mirror-glass houses pleased those who wanted a bit of solitude and a rest from the crowd.
On the grounds of official festival partner S7 Airlines was a pool with lounge-chairs and life-saving shade, and in the special MasterCard area festival guests went on the swing and played intellectual games.
Also, guests of Afisha Picnic-2016 were invited to the special zones prepared by the Goethe Institute, the Social Opinion Foundation, and international scientific project Science Slam; petanque-café La Boule brought to the Picnic a French mix of bowling and billiards; five food stalls were opened alongside a market providing space to more than 120 designers and brands.
Sony, in collaboration with the team Deep Fried Friends, organised at the Afisha-Picnic an alternative stage with DJ sets, where actress Irina Gorbacheva was making music.
TNT offered a stand-up show and invited the funniest residents of the TV channel. Lovers of fast driving, good food and fancy cars were thrilled by the Motor area. A sea of potato chips and adrenaline was brought to the festival by one of the partners - Lay’s.
Picnic in figures (Infographics)
- 58,000 people visited Afisha-Picnic-2016;
- 22 musicians performed on three stages;
- 81 entertainment areas appeared in the territory of Kolomenskoe;
- 1561 publications appeared in mass media
- 216 journalists worked at the Picnic press-centre;
- 1152 photographs were printed in PIK-living-room photo booths by the PIK group;
- 6993 gift-packs given to the visitors by "PIK" group;
- 7 million miles were raffled by S7 Airlines;
- 20,000 co-branding cards from MasterCard and MTS were given to the visitors for the cashless payment system
- 179 mobile phone payment points for items and services were offered for first time in Russia;
- 1000 longboards were handmade by festival visitors and taken home;
- 220 sites opened in the food stall area and market;
- 270 Pokémon traps were hidden around the whole territory of the Picnic.
More than 12,000 posts were made by Picnic visitors on social media;
- Facebook: 5356 publications;
- VK: 4382 publications;
- Twitter: 1183 publications;
- Instagram: 1091 publications;
- YouTube: 64 publications.
Top 5 countries whose citizens visited Afisha-Picnic-2016 (in declining order):
- United Kingdom;
It was the best day of summer. See you next year!